Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Welding Rules Together

I spend a lot of my days reading various role playing games, and spending money on way too many things for role playing games, so I have a lot of system pieces in my head.

Now, I had planned on running vanilla B/X but... well I think everyone knows it's nigh impossible to run vanilla anything if you spend a lot of time in this hobby. If you do, kudos.

So what do I want to pull from what?

Well on the DM end I'm pulling some ideas from Dungeon World/Apocalypse World. The moves thing is an easy way for me to keep focused as a game master, so that's nice to have.

For the players, I really enjoy the Advantage/Disadvantage system from 5e and the Backgrounds thing, so I will likely make some custom backgrounds for the setting for my players to use and alter them to fit with B/X vs. 5e.

I'm also doing everything in my power not to just turn this into FATE using...well everything from FATE cause I want to have this actually be D&D and not FATE. I feel like using FATE for fantasy is just offputting. But that's just because I've been trained to read Fantasy as needing more crunch than narrative. I'd rather use FATE for Modern/Sci-Fi anyways as a personal preference. But whatever.

But I think that's the majority of what I'm going to add, rules-wise.


Now anyone who knows me (which is likely zero of my readers) is well aware I prefer A: low fantasy/Sword and Sorcery, and B: human-centric settings. While I have fantasy races around the setting (in the form of dwarves, halflings, and the giants) I really don't want my players to be anything but human. This isn't really fair I suppose as both of my players are the kind of people that like non-humans, but I'll talk to them and see how they feel. Besides it gets a bit tiring of everyone seeing in the dark without torches. Makes it no fun as a DM!


So, B/X + 5e Background concept +5e Ad/Disad system. Easy enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment